Sunday, August 3, 2014

LORO BLONYO (JAVANESE COUPLE FIGURES)



I remembered when I was in campus couple years ago, I walked and passed one of campus staff office. This staff displayed many LORO BLONYO sculptures at her window. Seemingly, she has collected these items for long time ago. I stared for a while to this collection. Each collection items was made from different material and style. The facial expression of each couple also varied one and another; smile, plain, silly and probably sad (I interpreted). And that was my contact to this cultural object.

LORO BLONYO is a couple figure of man and woman in JAVANESE tradition. Historically, this sculpture depicted DEWI SRI (Fertility Goddess) and his partner. In Javanese LORO means two and BLONYO means make up (correct me if I am wrong), But interestingly, while I did a little research about this subject, I found that there is another interpretation of LORO BLONYO meaning, it is ‘Inseparable Couple’. It is a symbol of perfect couple.

In the past, this couple figure could only be found in noblemen's houses. In contrast, as I know, many king or noblemen in the past has more than one wife. So it is still mystery why was the perfect couple depicted with only one man and one woman? It may be controversial issue while I don’t have many experiences for this matter, ha…

But just came back to my campus staff LORO BLONYO collections. It is random LORO BLONYO figures, but in this randomness, I can see very much variety of expression of those couple. Sometimes they are happy, they are sad, they are plain, they are silly and fun. May be this LORO BLONYO collection is picture of real life. They want to remind us that perfect couple will go through hard and good time, but still, they are a couple, love each other, and inseparable. Perhaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment