Monday, August 4, 2014

NOKEN (PAPUA TRADITIONAL WOVEN BAG)




I always want to be able to get inspiration from natures. I remember, when I studied landscape architecture in the past, there was a book talking about taking nature as a design drivers. Pattern of the tree bark was transformed to the complete pavement design. Pattern of crack of the ground was transformed to be swimming pool design. That is incredible.

I am envy with someone who can pick up something from nature to generate design, because until now, I am still learning how to do it, and it seems quite hard to me. I think, may be it needs some degree of intimacy with nature to achieve this skill. It need process of understand each other, abundance of physical contact, and enthusiasm. I realize I don’t have this kind of relationship with nature. I am quite urban species, who lost some sense and opportunity to the wild green. I am just used to grey.

On the other hand, there are many indigenous tribes in Indonesia which has completely contrast lifestyle. They live and grow with and within nature. They got everything they need from nature, they know each other well. From those facts, they cultivate not only tangible product of nature but also the intangible, such as inspiration and creativity.

NOKEN is one of the examples of how nature can generate idea. NOKEN is Papua traditional woven bag that is made from tree’s bark, branch, or stem. This bag helped Papuans to carry stuffs, sometimes are heavy, in mostly difficult Papua geographical terrain, where no plastic bag is needed. The raw materials are from nature, and I think the way they appropriate this material as a functional good is also nurtured and developed from their close relationship from nature. And it is great.

As an urban species, this is quite hard to achieve this degree of relationship, because the different contact experiences. But somehow I still learn on it, because I thought it is essential creativity and basic skill. The nature is supposed to be the closest affiliation for human being. We shouldn’t need to watch TV, reading design books to get inspired. Just look around, finding something in the shape of leaves, in the breeze of wind, and the system of the nature to create something. It was really cool if we can get to this level and I hope, someday I will. You too.

More drawing and project  at http://pujodroe.blogspot.com.au/

No comments:

Post a Comment