Friday, August 1, 2014

SEKAPUR SIRIH




We have a welcoming dance for each province in Indonesia. Across Sumatera especially, the dances are mostly about offering betel nut as a symbol of friendly reception. In Jambi, it is called ‘SEKAPUR SIRIH’ dance, in Aceh it is called ‘RANUB LAMPUAN’ dance, in Riau it is called ‘TEPAK SIRIH’ dance. In the kingdom era, the princess, along with her maids would perform this dance in front of king’s guests. Our cultures teach us to be a warm hearted host. Even in Aceh, we have a term of “PEMULIA JAMEE” which means honoring the guest. In some old village in Aceh, if you visit someone in midday, they would not let you go home before having lunch with them. No matter what they have. It is all about being a good host.

Back to the welcoming dance, I am just thinking about all efforts that the host put to welcome the guests. With all the make-up, complete costume, choreography, smile, they open their hand to welcome the guests. Then I remembered that I always feel annoyed when my parents ask me to greet their guest who may be my parent’s friends or relatives that I don’t really know well.  I prefer to stay at my room, doing my stuff rather than having 5-minute awkward moment to say hi to ‘stranger’ guests. My effort to say ‘hi’ may be is nothing to compare with what those dancers have done. And it made me realize that probably, I need to rethink about the way I treat the guest. And one more time, it is all about be a good human being. Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment